Carline & Parking
Changes for the 2018-2019 school year coming soon!
Working Together to Keep the Carline Safe and Efficient
Students should begin arriving no earlier than 7:30am. Faculty, staff, and volunteers will be at the front of the campus in the morning to escort our younger students from their vehicles to the building. Other staff will be inside to supervise students on their way to class. At 8:00am our doors will be locked to ensure the security of students and staff.
With the completion of Building 3 comes a longer driveway and an improved system for morning drop off and afternoon pick up. When you arrive in the mornings and afternoons, please enter campus using the north driveway and follow the path marked with red arrows on the diagram below. Students in K-5th will be dropped off and picked up outside Buildings 1 and 2, and students in 6th-12th will be dropped off and picked up outside Building 3. (If you have students in Upper School and Grammar School, you will drop off and pick up all of your children outside Buildings 1 and 2, and the Upper School students will walk to and from Building 3.)
For instructions on how to enter and exit the carline, please see the diagram above. You may download the diagram in PDF here: Carline Procedures 2017-2018.
Please follow the instructions below as you drive through the carline.
- To help keep traffic on Leander Drive moving, please approach campus from the north.
- Please pull to the front of the line. There should be no gaps in the car line.
- Please drive slowly, especially along the new driveway. There will be many young students around and it is important for drivers to be watchful.
- Do not use your cell phone while in the car line. Students who use their cell phones while driving on campus may lose their driving privileges.
- K-5th parents, please arrive for afternoon pick up beginning at 3:15. K-5th students will be dismissed at 3:30.
- 6th-12th parents, please do not arrive before 3:30. If you do, you will block K-5th families from picking up their children. Students will be dismissed from Building 3 at 3:30.
- If you have students in K-5th and 6th-12th, please drop all of your children off outside Buildings 1 and 2. Please pick up all of your children outside Buildings 1 and 2. (The older students will walk over using the crosswalk.)
- K-5th parents, if you would like to park and pick up your child in person, please enter using the center driveway and use the crosswalk in front of Building 2.Please do not spend longer than 10 minutes in the K-5th lot. If you plan to spend more than 10 minutes on campus, please park next to the playground behind Building 2.
Instructions for driving on campus during school hours
We have placed cones outside of the crosswalks by buildings 1 and 3 for the safety of our students. If you visit our campus during school hours please do not remove the cones to pull up to our buildings. You must use the open parking spaces in the parking lot and walk up to our offices. Cones will be moved at 3:10 pm for pick up.
Instructions for Hang Tags
Each family has been provided 4 copies of a blue and white plastic hang tag with a three digit number. You were also given several smaller backpack tags with the same number, and several small tags that say “Walk/Bike” on them. The three digit number is the same for your whole family, so you will need to display only one tag for all of your children. Please write your family’s last name on the hang tag when you receive it. If you carpool, please give the extra hang tags to the other families who you authorize to pick up your children.
K-5th students will be dismissed from their classrooms by walkie talkie. 6th-12th students will stand on the sidewalk outside Building 3 and enter cars on their own. School staff will be present to open car doors and supervise the process.
K-5th parents, if you would like to pick up your child from the car line:
- Please display your family’s hang tag on the rear view mirror of your car when you arrive in the afternoons.
- Please send your child to school with the smaller tag containing your family number on his or her backpack.
- When you arrive in the afternoons, school staff will call out the family numbers on walkie talkies and students will be dismissed from their classrooms.
- This is an excellent time for school staff to learn the names of our families, and we would love it if you would display your last name and the name of your children in your car window as well!
K-5th parents, if you would like to park and pick up your child in person:
- Please send your child to school with the “Walk/Bike” tag attached to his or her backpack. This will be a sign to the teacher that your child should be dismissed from class right at 3:30.
- Please use the center driveway to park in the lot marked “Walk-In Parking” on the diagram above.
- Please bring your hang tag, and walk across the Building 2 crosswalk to meet your child at 3:30. He or she will be waiting there for you!
If you carpool, please provide the extra copies of your family’s hang tag to the others who you authorize to pick up your child from school. Please make sure that these individuals are on your emergency contact/carpool form in the main office. If you arrive to campus without a hang tag in the afternoon, please park and check in at the Building 3 reception desk. School staff will arrange for your child to meet you once we have confirmed that you are authorized to pick the student up.
Late Pick Up
All students must be picked up by 4:00 p.m. Students who are not picked up by this time will wait in the building 3 library and parents will be assessed a fee at the rate of $1.00/minute. This late fee is payable to the front office on the next school day. If a parent does not pay this fee on time, the student may be barred from participating in extracurricular activities.